RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL
LESSON ELEVEN: Sunday, 16th November 2014
THE SPIRITUAL CHRISTIAN
MEMORY VERSE: “This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. “ Galatians 5: 16
BIBLE PASSAGE: Romans 8: 1-6
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. (KJV)
INTRODUCTION: The spiritual Christian is a believer who is living a Spirit-led lifestyle. His lifestyle was explained in Romans 8. It is not correct to have the Spirit of God living in you without having any effect on your lifestyle. Let us consider a few characteristics of the spiritual Christian.
1. CHARACTERISTICS OF A SPIRITUAL CHRISTIAN
2. MORE CHARACTERISTICS OF A SPIRITUAL CHRISTIAN
CHARACTERISTICS OF A SPIRITUAL CHRISTIAN
(1) He is free from condemnation. This implies he has self-assurance that God is pleased with his deeds. His heart is free from any form of condemnation either from self or from the Holy Spirit. Romans 8:1, Luke 6:37.
(2) He is free from the law. He is living in the liberty of Christ. He does not measure his righteousness by his obedience to rules and laws of the flesh. Romans 8:2, John 8:32
(3) He is led by the Spirit. All his deeds are based on the direction of the Holy Spirit and love. He can no longer live according to the old man’s desires. Galatians 5: 16, 18, Ephesians 5:2,15.
(4) He is mindful of spiritual things. His thoughts are more on the spiritual things, which help him to renew his mind after the word of God until he has the mind of Christ. Romans 8:5, Philippians 2:5.
MORE CHARACTERISTICS OF A SPIRITUAL CHRISTIAN
1. He has mortified the deeds of the flesh. The spiritual Christian willingly allows the taste, desires, and glories of the flesh to die by saying yes to the Spirit.Colossians 3:5-9, Galatians 5:20.
2. He lives as a son and not as a slave. This implies he has direct relationship with Christ as joint-heirs. Romans 8:14-16, Luke 8:21.
3. He bears the fruit of the Spirit. This is the only outward proof of spirituality. Galatians 5:22-23, Psalm 92:13-14.
4. He is divinely guided and has spiritual insight. He has a divine insight into all things hence he can judge correctly as the Spirit would have judged. He has access to the mind and thoughts of God on issues. 1Corinthians 2:15, 1Corinthians 2:10-13.
Becoming spiritual is Christ’s aim for the church. If we all strive to spiritual maturity, the bride of Christ will be found ready for His coming.
1. How is a spiritual Christian free from the law?
2. What is the law of the Spirit?
BLESSED WEEK WITK THE HOLY SPIRIT
MONDAY: John 5:24 – Regularly feed on the word of God for constant spiritual strength.
TUESDAY: Romans 8:2 – You are no more under the law of sin and death.
WEDNESDAY: John 3:18 – Your faith in Christ Jesus earns you justification.
THURSDAY: Romans 8:34 – Christ justifies His own.
FRIDAY: Colossians 3:1-2 – Fix your focus on things above.
SATURDAY: Philippians 2:5 – Let the mind of Christ be in you.
SUNDAY: 1John 2:6 – As the elect of the Lord, walk in His precepts.