RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL
LESSON TWENTY-TWO Sunday, 31st January 2016
THE MINISTRY OF THE TEACHER
MEMORY VERSE: ‘The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God:” – John 3:2a
BIBLE PASSAGE: Hebrews 5: 12-14
12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
INTRODUCTION: Teaching is a leadership gift. The Greek word” didaskalos” meaning ‘master’ is used to connote a teacher in the scriptures. Jesus was given this description in John 3:2. Hence, a teacher is a specially called person that imparts instruction and communicates the knowledge of the word of God effectively as if he is the author of the Bible (Romans 12:7; 1Corinthians 12:29; Ephesians 4:11).
—– LESSON OUTLINES —–
1. THE MARKS OF A TRUE TEACHER
2. THE NEED FOR TRUE TEACHERS IN THE CHURCH
THE MARKS OF A TRUE TEACHER
1. A true teacher is a custodian (keeper) of the kingdom’s most valued treasure -The Word of God. He is expected to acquire and be possessed with the WORD (1 Timothy 4: 16, Deuteronomy 6:8-9).
2. A true teacher has divine understanding and wisdom of God to impart sound doctrine (Colossians 1:27-28; Matthew 13:54).
3. A true teacher does not teach man’s wisdom but mysteries obtained by the revelation of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 2:13;
Ephesians 1: 17).
4. A true teacher illuminates scriptures with a lot of revelations and truth discoveries. He is a Bible scientist who discovers and makes clear hidden truth and latent power behind the word of God (Matthew 7:28-29).
5. A true teacher lives what he teaches. Teaching involves training and making of disciples – (Romans 2:21-?2; 2Thess. 3:7; 2Timothy 2:2).
THE NEED FOR TRUE TEACHERS IN THE CHURCH
Jesus commanded the apostles to teach (Matthew 28:19-20; 2 Timothy 2:24:). The church today needs true teachers for the following reasons:
1. To impart the knowledge of truth needed to keep us from spiritual destruction – Hosea 4:6.
2. To learn and understand how to live the life of the kingdom of God after salvation – (Matthew 28:19-20; Exodus 18:20).
3. To build believers into the full image of their Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ (Ephesians 4:12-13; Colossians 1:28).
4. To defend the Christian ideals as enunciated in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and lodge intellectual attack on the heresies that emanate from such learning that exclude God (2 Corinthians 13:8; Galatians 1:8; Titus 1:9).
5. To produce Christian workers and ministers for the manpower needs of the Church (2 Timothy 2:2).
CONCLUSION – The teacher is an honoured spiritual office but all teachers must be careful to live what they teach as they shall be liable to stricter judgement – James 3:1. All matured believers are to be involved in teaching (Hebrews 5:12).
1. List the marks of a true teacher.
2. Teaching with human wisdom gives only the letters. What is the implication of this to the hearer?
Blessed Week with the Holy Spirit
o MONDAY:John 3:2 – Jesus Christ is the true teacher who declares only the mind, will and counsel of God for our salvation.
o TUESDAY:John 20:19 -When you are in fear due to situations around you, Jesus is close enough to whisper peace to your soul.
o WEDNESDAY: Matthew 5:19 – Teachers who live and teach the truth are great in the kingdom of God.
o THURSDAY: Exodus 4:15 – God is willing to teach you what to speak and do each time you lean upon Him.
o FRIDAY: Deuteronomy 6:7 – A godly child is well taught by parents and godly parents teach well their children the things of God.
o SATURDAY: 1 Samuel 12:23 – Godly teachers always pray for those they are teaching for the seed of the word to be productive in them.
o SUNDAY: Psalm 25:2 – Those that fear God have the great privilege of being taught the right way to follow.