RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL MANUAL
SUNDAY, 11TH JUNE 2017
TOPIC: AVOIDING GENERATIONAL DEPARTURE
MEMORY VERSE: ‘’Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set” – Proverbs 22:28
BIBLE PASSAGE: 1Samuel 2:12-17
God has laid down principles for children upbringing which must not be departed from (2Timothy 2:19). The anger of God kindles upon children who disobey God (Ephesians 5:6; Eccles 10:8). The role of parents is therefore crucial to the fulfillment of God’s plan and purpose for His children (Deuteronomy 6:6-9). While there are records of children raised in godly ways who remained on that narrow path, the Bible also has records of those who departed from the path of truth.
1. Children that departed from godly upbringing
2. How to avoid generational departure
CHILDREN THAT DEPARTED FROM GODLY UPBRINGING
Biblical examples of children that departed from godly ways include:
1. Samson (Judges 13:3-5; 14:1-3, 8-9; 16:16-17).
2. Hophni and Phinehas; sons of Eli (1Samuel 2:12-17, 22; 4:11).
3. Solomon (1Kings 11:4-7; Eccles 1:1; 2:10-11).
4. Nadab and Abitur; sons of Aaron (Leviticus 10:1; Numbers 26:61).
5. Demas (2Timothy 4:10).
HOW TO AVOID GENERATIONAL DEPARTURE
In other to keep our children on the path of righteousness, parents have the following obligations to fulfil:
1. Love God fervently (Deuteronomy 6:4-6). Have a deep personal relationship with God. You cannot pass on to your children what you do not possess (John 14:21; 15:10; 1John 5:3).
2. Teach your children diligently about God (Deuteronomy 6:7-9). If God’s Word is on your heart continually, then you will be talking about it constantly with your children (Proverbs 4:3-4, Ephesians 6:4).
3. You need to answer your children’s questions about God and the Christian life (Deuteronomy 6:20-25; 1Peter 3:15).
4. Focus on obeying and pleasing God only (Deuteronomy 6:17-18) and also train your children, in agreement with your spouse, to please God in all their endeavours.
5. Live out/model godly lifestyle before children (James 5:12; Matthew 5:16-17; Titus 2:7; 1Peter 5:3).
6. Discipline your children in love (Hebrews 12:6; Proverbs 3:11-12).
7. Inculcate emotional stability but do not indulge your children (Proverbs 19:18; Colossians 3:21).
We should pray and seek God’s direction in training our children that they would love God wholeheartedly. If you want to raise godly children, you must love God fervently, teach your children about Him diligently and live out a godly life for them to see.
1. Mention four biblical examples of children who departed from godly ways.
2. State five obligations of parents to keep their children on godly path.